Simply being visible on Google and other search engines aren’t enough if you want to truly compete with others in your business. You need to take advantage of all the resources out there to help you get your business the most visibility.
Google My Business is one of those tools that can truly help to manage your presence on Google. It’s not only easy to use, but it’s also free. So why wouldn’t you take advantage of this resource that’s right at your fingertips…literally?
How does Google My Business work?
Google My Business is an application that allows you to manage your online presence. It allows you to manage the information Google users see when they search your business. This includes everything from adding a new phone number to adjusting the hours of your business for the holidays.
You need to first verify your Google My Business listing to make sure everything is accurate. While many people stop here, there are so many other features available that you don’t want to miss. Utilizing these can make the difference as to whether someone calls you over the competition.
Complete Google Profiles Attract More Buiness
Statistics show that companies that verify their business with Google My Business are twice as likely to be considered by potential customers.
When people see your business on Google maps and search they need to have the correct information when it comes to your phone number, address, and website. A mistake in any of these could lead you to lose business to the competition.
Each time you make an update through Google My Business you’ll be asking to enter a PIN number to identify you. This assures that only those with permission to make changes to the listing are doing so.
But, there are times when people can edit your listing. People have the option to suggest an edit. Sometimes these edits become part of the listing without the user knowing. While Google will typically notify you, you should always be checking your listing to make sure the most recent information is included.
You can also download the mobile app so you can manage everything from your phone when you’re on-the-go.
Google My Business Services
Besides the basic updates to pertinent information like phone number and address, Google My Business also allows you to perform several other features to improve your business’ Google presence.
- Add photos. Seeing is believing. Adding photos through Google my Business allows you to showcase what makes your business stands out. You can add as many photos as you’d like, so don’t be shy.
- Strike up a Conversation. There is a question and answer area where you can converse with customers. Use this space to answer questions and get to know them better. People love to feel a connection with a business and not feel as though they’re just a number.
- Keep Track of Review. We all know online reviews can make or break a business. Manage your reviews through Google my Business to keep on top of what people are saying about your business. This is also a great place for you to interact with customers and settle any issues they may have.
Google My Business Insights
While being able to make changes, add photos, and converse with customers are great benefits, you also need to know how your site is performing.
Through the Google My Business Dashboard, you have access to insights that can let you know how your site is doing. You can see how customers searched for your business as well as where those customers are originating. You also have access to information that lets you know how many people used the phone number on the local search results and maps to get in touch with you.
Once you get used to using Google My Business you can also create and track your AdWords campaigns.
The Limitations of Google my Business
While Google my Business is an excellent tool, there are some limitations to it. Before you start using it, keep these things in mind:
- You need to include a mailing address. Each listing needs to have a physical or mailing address where mail is sent. Once you provide an address you can choose to hide it and list your service area instead.
- Follow Google’s Quality Guidelines. Once you sign on, read Google’s Quality Guidelines and agree to them. If you don’t follow these standards Google will not approve your listing.
- Payments not accepted. Google My Business is a free service. Google does not accept payments of any type to promote your business or bring it to the top of the search engine page.
When you are looking to expand your reach on Google and other search engines, let Portside Marketing help. We know the ins and outs of Google as well as how to use search engine optimization to improve your company’s online presence.
Contact Portside Marketing at (972) 979-9316 to let us help you understand Google My Business and how to get your website to perform to its fullest potential!